This recipe is taken from the 2009 Milk Calendar. Roasting pears enhances their natural sweetness, and an easy cookie topping combined with buttery-tasting Havarti makes this simple dessert something special. Serve warm as it is or topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 35 min
- 4 firm ripe pears peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground ginger or ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely crumbled crisp ginger cookies
- 1 cup (250 mL) Canadian Havarti or Canadian old Cheddar cheese shredded
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Butter a shallow 8-cup (2 L) square or oval baking dish.
Place pears in baking dish; sprinkle with sugar, ginger and lemon juice and toss to combine. Spread evenly. Roast for about 25 min or until pears are almost tender and starting to brown.
In a bowl, combine cookie crumbs and cheese; sprinkle evenly over pears. Roast for about 10 min longer or until pears are tender and cheese is melted. Serve warm.
Replace pears with 3 tart cooking apples (Northern Spy, Crispin, Granny Smith) and increase roasting time to 30 to 35 min.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||13 % / 139 mg|