Enjoy the sweet flavour of parsnip and peppers with the combination of a strong earthy blue cheese for a starter you won’t forget.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 50 min - 55 min
- 1 lb (500 g) parsnips peeled and chopped
- 3 red peppers coarsly chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp/5 mL dried
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) 10% half-and-half cream
- Sautéed Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 8 oz (250 g) mixed exotic mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled Canadian Blue cheese (about 2oz/60 g)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine parsnips, peppers, maple syrup, thyme and pepper. Spread evenly onto baking sheet. Roast for 40 to 45 minutes or until tender and golden.
3. Sautéed Mushrooms: Meanwhile, in medium skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat and sauté mushrooms, parsley and garlic for 8 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
4. In a blender, purée parsnips and peppers and 2 cups (500 mL) broth until smooth. Pour into pot and add remaining broth and cream; heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, just until heated through, about 8 minutes.
5. Divide mushrooms among shallow soup bowls and sprinkle with cheese. Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
You can garnish the soup with the mushrooms and cheese on top if desired.
For an added kick, add a splash of hot pepper sauce to the soup before serving.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||17 % / 191 mg|
|Vitamin C:||155 %|
|Vitamin E:||25 %|