Roasting the vegetables creates a depth of flavour in this soup and the cream adds a wonderful velvety texture.
- Prep: 15 min - 20 min
- Cooking: 40 min
- 6 garlic cloves cut in half
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 1 Yukon gold potato peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (28-oz/796 mL) plum tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable stock or chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35 % cream
- 6 thin slices baguette
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Canadian Asiago or Canadian Cheddar shredded or Canadian Parmesan cheese grated
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
On rimmed baking sheet, toss together garlic, onion, potato, butter and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper. Roast in 450 °F (230 °C) oven for 25 minutes, stirring twice, or until golden and softened.
Meanwhile, in a pot combine tomatoes, stock and basil; bring to a boil over high heat. Add vegetables. Reduce heat; boil gently for 10 minutes. Purée until very smooth. Return to pot (if necessary) over medium-low heat. Stir in cream; season with salt and pepper. Heat, stirring often, until steaming.
On baking sheet, broil baguette slices until lightly toasted. Turn over and sprinkle with cheese; broil until cheese is melted.
Lade soup into warmed bowls; float crouton on top of each serving.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||11 % / 124 mg|
|Vitamin A:||35 %|
|Vitamin B6:||14 %|
|Vitamin C:||29 %|