This is the Salmon Steaks with Creamed Spinach, Estrie-Style recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min - 25 min
- 2 lbs (1 Kg) fresh spinach washed and stemmed
- 1/3 cup + 2 tsp (90 mL) 35 % cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) pastis
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) pink peppercorns
- 4 (5 oz/150 g each) salmon steaks
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Lemon juice
Cook the spinach in butter over a low heat for 3 minutes. Drain and season with salt and pepper.
Mix together the cream, pastis and pink peppercorns.
Cut 4 large rectangles of aluminium foil, butter the inside of each sheet with a pastry brush, and then fold up the sides. Place a piece of salmon and some spinach on each sheet. Add the 35 % cream, the pink peppercorns and the pastis.
Seal the foil to form a bag by folding over the edges (papillote). Cook for 20 minutes on the grill*.
Jean Soulard, Executive Chef, Le Château Frontenac
*Alternative to BBQ: 15 minutes in 350 °F (180 °C) oven.