This recipe is taken from the 1998 Milk Calendar. A gentle, smooth Mexican flavour, with a slight crunch from the peppers, toasted cheese on top. An old favourite with a difference.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 45 min
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) red bell peppers or green bell peppers (or both) diced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Canadian Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) salsa (mild or medium) well-drained
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter a 8-cup (2 L) baking dish; set aside.
Peel and thinly slice potatoes, then place in a microwavable casserole dish and cover. Microwave potatoes on High for 7 minutes, stirring once; set aside.
In the bottom of the buttered baking dish, layer half of each of the potatoes, bell peppers and green onions. Repeat layers; set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, blending well. Add milk and cumin and cook over medium-high heat, stirring until thickened. Whisk in 1 cup (250 mL) of shredded cheese until smooth. Stir in salsa.
Pour milk mixture over potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and the top is bubbly and golden.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||27 % / 301 mg|
|Vitamin C:||59 %|
|Vitamin A:||20 %|
|Vitamin B12:||19 %|