Filled with a simple chicken and tomato sauce filling and shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese, these oven-baked taquitos make a quick and easy lunch or dinner that tastes fantastic.
- Prep: 35 minutes
- Prep: 45 minutes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Canadian butter, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded leftover cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 small corn tortillas (5-inch/13 cm), warmed
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Canadian sour cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lime zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cabbage
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Preheat oven to 425F (220C). Melt butter in large skillet set over medium heat; remove half of the melted butter and set aside.
Add onion, garlic, chipotle powder, cumin and oregano to skillet; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until onions are slightly softened. Stir in tomato sauce; bring to boil. Stir in chicken; reduce heat to medium-low. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until sauce thickens and chicken is well coated. Stir in cilantro.
Spoon 2 tbsp (30 mL) chicken mixture down along center of each tortilla. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp (15 mL) cheese. Roll up tightly. Place seam-side down on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Brush lightly with reserved melted butter. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until tortillas are crisp and cheese is melted.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together sour cream, lime zest and juice.
Serve taquitos over bed of shredded cabbage. Drizzle with lime sour cream. Garnish with jalapeño slices.
Using rotisserie chicken may increase salt and fat. For healthier rotisserie chicken options, look for no-salt or low-salt variations and remove skin before shredding.
Substitute pickled jalapeno slices for fresh jalapeño slices if preferred.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving