This is the Saucy Salmon Loaf recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 35 min - 45 min
- 1 can (15 oz / 426 g) pink salmon drained (reserve broth)
- 2 cups (500 mL) (about 3 slices) soft breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) dried tarragon or savory
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) hot liquid (reserved salmon broth and milk)
- Cheese Sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- dry mustard
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese or Canadian Swiss cheese
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
In a large bowl, flake salmon with a fork, crushing skin and bones. Add breadcrumbs, onion, parsley and tarragon. Mix well. Place mixture in a buttered non-stick 9 x 5 inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan.
Beat together eggs, salt and pepper until eggs are just blended. Stir in hot liquid. Pour over salmon mixture in loaf pan. Bake in a 350 °F (180 °C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until firm. Loosen loaf with a spatula and turn out of pan.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings. Stir in milk. Cook stirring constantly until sauce thickens and comes to a boil. Cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Add cheese and stir until smooth. Serve with salmon loaf.
Nutritional informationPer serving
|Calcium:||36 % / 398 mg|