Kale, fennel and potatoes are the healthy trio in a dish sure to please everyone.
- Prep: 40 min
- Cooking: 40 min
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 cups (115 g) kale stemmed and chopped
- 1 leek white and light green parts chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Butter
- 1 tbsp (5 mL) fennel seeds
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Italian sausages cooked and sliced
- 4 medium potatoes peeled, cooked and sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1/2 tbsp (2 mL) grated nutmeg
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) plain breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cups (80 mL) Canadian Parmesan grated
Butter a 9-inch (23 cm) square ovenproof dish and rub with a halved garlic clove.
In a pot of salted boiling water, blanch the kale for 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Squeeze dry and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
In a large pan, melt butter and sweat leek and fennel seeds 8 minutes without browning. Add kale and cook 1 minute while stirring. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer to the prepared dish. Arrange sausage and potato on top.
In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour.
Cook 2 minutes and add milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
Cook 2 more minutes and add nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour the sauce over the dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese.* Cook 30 minutes in the middle of the oven until sauce is bubbling.
*At this point, the dish can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for cooking the next day.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||21 % / 234 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||56 %|
|Vitamin C:||65 %|