Crisp, delicate phyllo surrounds a warm and subtly spiced filling of Ricotta and chicken in this amazing dish that’s perfect for a luncheon.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 20 min - 25 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken, turkey or duck leg meat cooked and finely diced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh basil chopped
- 6 cups (1.5 L) baby spinach divided
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Canadian Ricotta
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4–6 phyllo pastry sheets
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) butter melted, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) watercress
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
In a large non-stick skillet, cook chicken with Chinese five-spice, garlic and green onions for 2–3 minutes over medium-high heat. Add basil and 2 cups (500 mL) spinach and cook 2 more minutes. Remove from heat, let cool and add Ricotta. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
On a work surface, lay out a phyllo sheet, brush with some melted butter and fold in half to form an 8½˝ (21 cm) long rectangle.
Form some of the preparation into a cylinder shape and place along the shorter edge of the sheet. Roll once and tuck the edges in. Loosely roll up and brush with remaining butter to seal the end. Repeat for other phyllo sheets. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix remaining spinach with watercress and cilantro in a bowl. Sprinkle with soy sauce and season with pepper. Divide among plates and top with turnovers, cut in half.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Cream Cheese, Mascarpone.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||16 % / 181 mg|
|Vitamin A:||33 %|
|Vitamin C:||26 %|