Looking for an easy creamy scalloped potato recipe, well this is it. Accented with bacon and sun-dried tomatoes, you can’t go wrong.
- Prep: 5 min
- Cooking: 40 min - 45 min
- 1 large clove garlic halved
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- Grinding pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 mL) 15 % or 18 % cream
- 5 large Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and thinly sliced (21/2 lbs/1.25 kg)
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 4 sliced bacon cooked and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) julienned sun-dried tomatoes patted dry
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Canadian-swiss
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Rub garlic over inside of an 8-inch (23 cm) square baking dish. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in salt, thyme and pepper and cook for 30 sec. Whisk in flour cook stirring for 1 min. Whisk in cream. Add potatoes; stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer stirring occasionally for 5 min.
Pour half of the mixture into prepared dish. Stir onion with bacon and tomatoes. Sprinkle 3/4 of the onion mixture over potatoes. Pour in remaining potato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining onion mixture and cheese. Set on baking tray to catch any drips.
Bake until the top is golden and potatoes are tender, 40 to 45 min. Cool for 10 min before serving.
To prevent browning, peel your potatoes just before making this recipe.
Switch up the bacon for cooked ham and use Canadian Cheddar instead of Canadian-Swiss.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||23 % / 248 mg|
|Vitamin B6:||32 %|
|Vitamin B12:||26 %|
|Vitamin A:||22 %|