This recipe is taken from the 1998 Milk Calendar. This quick shrimp dish is easy to prepare and serve. It’s delicious any season of the year!
- Prep: 15 min - 20 min
- Cooking: 3 min - 5 min
- 24 large shrimp shelled and deveined
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) dry sherry or Pernod or white wine
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) shallot or green onion minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35 % cream
- 1 tomato seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh parsley minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Swiss cheese
- Salt to taste
Shell shrimp, leaving the tails on if desired. With a sharp knife, cut along the back of each shrimp, slicing halfway through, and press open. Toss shrimp with 2 tsp (10 ml) of the sherry.
Melt 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the butter in a skillet and sauté shrimp over medium-high heat, stirring just until barely pink. Do not overcook. Remove from heat and distribute evenly in 4 small gratin dishes; set aside.
Melt remaining butter in the skillet. Add shallot and flour, stirring to blend. Whisk in milk, cream, remaining sherry, tomato, parsley and salt. Cook over medium-high heat until sauce thickens.
Spoon over shrimp and top each dish with shredded Swiss cheese. Broil for 3 to 5 min or until bubbly and lightly golden. Serve immediately.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||40 % / 442 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||185 %|
|Vitamin D:||164 %|
|Vitamin A:||56 %|