Serving something warm with cocktails or as a first course sets a comforting seasonal tone.
- Prep: 45 min
- Cooking: 50 min
- Refrigeration: 1 h
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 onion minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) arborio rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
- 3 cups (750 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Canadian Sharp Cheddar shredded or crumbled
- Salt freshly ground pepper to taste
- 7 oz (200 g) Canadian Sharp Cheddar diced into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Canadian Parmesan grated
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter
- Salt freshly gournd pepper to taste
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In a large skillet, melt butter on medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add rice and stir thoroughly to coat the grains with butter. Deglaze with white wine and reduce by half. Pour broth into skillet and add herbs. Cover and let simmer 15 minutes. Remove lid, stir and cook another 5 minutes uncovered to allow any excess liquid to evaporate.
Remove bay leaf, add Cheddar and season with salt and pepper. Let cool and then chill completely in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 450 °F (230 °C).
Take a Cheddar cube and completely coat with cold risotto. Shape into a ball with your hands. Repeat until all the mixture has been used (24 balls).Place flour on a plate and add salt and pepper to taste.
In a bowl, beat eggs with a little water. In another bowl, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan and parsley. Dip the risotto balls in flour, dip in egg mixture, drain well and then coat with bread crumbs. Dip a second time in egg mixture and coat again with bread crumbs. Place arancini on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
Brush each arancini with melted butter and bake 15–20 minutes or until golden and crispy. Serve immediately.
Risotto can be prepared the day before. Arancini can be frozen before or after baking.
Cheese alternatives for Aged Cheddar: Canadian Provolone, Gouda.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||29 % / 321 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||33 %|