This recipe is taken from the 1993 Milk Calendar. A favourite recipe back by popular request. From the 1988 Milk Calendar.
- Prep: 20 min - 25 min
- Cooking: 55 min - 1 h
- 6 medium potatoes
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Milk heated
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 large onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 1/4 lbs (1 Kg) lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) tomatoes drained
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Tabasco sauce
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas
- 1 tsp (5 mL) A few pinches of paprika
Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water 15 min or until tender. Drain well. Mash with milk, butter, cheese, salt and pepper. Reserve.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Cook onions and garlic until tender. Stir in beef. Brown lightly. Stir in flour. Add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook 3 to 4 min. Add tomatoes, braking them up with a spoon. Cook until thickened slightly- about 10 min.
Stir in seasonings, bread crumbs and peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer mixture to a buttered 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) casserole. Spread or pipe mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake in a preheated 400 °F (200 °C) oven for 30 min.