This is the Simple risotto with shrimp, asparagus and Aged Cheddar recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) arborio rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
- 3 cups (750 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/3 lb (600 g) large shrimp shelled
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus (1 lb – 450 g), cut into 1˝ (2.5 cm) segments
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Canadian Aged Cheddar grated
In a large skillet, melt butter on medium heat and cook onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
Add rice and stir thoroughly to coat the grains with butter.
Deglaze with white wine and reduce by half.
Pour broth into skillet and add herbs. Cover and let simmer 15 minutes.
Add shrimp and asparagus, stir and continue cooking, covered, for another 5–7 minutes. Remove lid, stir and cook another 5 minutes, uncovered, to allow any excess liquid to evaporate.
Remove bay leaf and add Cheddar. Season to taste, stir and serve.
Note: For a variation, shrimp may be replaced with chicken breasts cut into cubes.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Mild or Medium Cheddar, Provolone.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||27 % / 297 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||71 %|