This recipe is taken from the 1993 Milk Calendar. The tiny meatballs are fun because they are different; fast because they do not take long to cook through and easy because they do not have to be browned first.
- Prep: 25 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 3/4 lb (340 g) lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- of hot red chili flakes
- 12 1/2 oz (375 g) fresh mushrooms sliced (about 3 cups/ 750 mL)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes with juices
- 1 can (5 1/2 oz/156 mL) tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 1/2 oz (375 g) spaghetti
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
Combine ground beef with bread crumbs, egg, milk, salt and pepper. Shape into mini meatballs. Reserve.
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onions, garlic and hot chili flakes. Cook a few min or until lightly browned. Add mushrooms. Cook 3 to 4 min. Add flour. Cook 2 min longer. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil.
Add tomatoes and tomato paste, breaking tomatoes up with a spoon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 10 min. Add meatballs to sauce. Continue to cook, gently, 20 min. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Just before serving, cook spaghetti in a large pot of boiling, salted water. Drain spaghetti well.
Top with sauce, parsley and Parmesan cheese. Toss well and serve.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||29 % / 322 mg|
|Vitamin C:||82 %|