This recipe is taken from the 2016 Milk Calendar. Make Sunday night more than all right. The whole family will gather around this one-pan dish filled with so much deliciousness.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) frozen peas
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Butter divided
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) long-grain rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crumbled saffron threads (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 small plum tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) small pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coarsely chopped parsley
Remove peas from freezer. Stir paprika with salt and pepper; sprinkle all over chicken.
Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in a very large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until golden, about 4 min per side. Transfer to a bowl.
In same pan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add red pepper, onion and garlic; cook 2 min. Add rice; stir to combine. Add broth, milk, saffron, if using, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Return chicken and any juices to pan. Nestle chicken in rice. Cover with a tight-fitting lid or foil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 min. Uncover and scatter tomatoes and peas over rice. Cook covered until liquid is mostly absorbed and rice is tender, 10 to 15 more min. Let stand 5 min. Stir in olives and sprinkle with parsley.
Saffron, while expensive, adds a whole other dimension of flavour and colour.
Add a spicy hot pepper while sautéing red pepper. Substitute 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in half crosswise, for thighs.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||12 % / 136 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||64 %|
|Vitamin C:||90 %|