This recipe is taken from the 1985 Milk Calendar. This is the Strawberry Ginger Cream Pie recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 15 min - 20 min
- Refrigeration: 3 h
- 2 cups (500 mL) gingersnap cookies crushed into crumbs
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) unsalted butter
- 4 cups (1 L) fresh strawberries hulled
- 1 pouch (1/4 oz/7 g) unflavoured gelatin
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) rum or water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) hot Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35 % cream
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) finely chopped candied ginger
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) strawberry jam or raspberry jam or raspberry jelly strained
- Sprigs of fresh mint
Combine cookie crumbs with melted butter; pat into bottom and sides of a 9-inch (23 cm) pie dish. Bake at 350 °F (180 °C) for 10 min. Cool.
Sprinkle gelatin over rum in a saucepan. Soften 5 min; heat gently to dissolve. Beat eggs with sugar in the top of a double boiler. Beat in flour; slowly whisk in hot milk. Cook over simmering water until custard thickens, 5 to 10 min. Beat in gelatin and vanilla extract; cool over a larger bowl filled with ice and water. Mixture should be cool but not yet set.
Slice 1/3 of the berries; place in cooled pie shell. Halve remaining berries and reserve for the top.
Whip cream until light and fold into gelatin base along with ginger. Spoon into pie shell and refrigerate 1 hour.
Arrange reserved berries over top of pie. Brush berries with jam. Decorate with sprigs of mint. Chill 2 hours longer.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||8 % / 85 mg|
|Vitamin C:||57 %|
|Vitamin B12:||15 %|
|Vitamin A:||15 %|