This recipe is taken from the 1986 Milk Calendar. The walnuts in the topping give this cobbler a non-traditional, nuttier, taste.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 35 min - 40 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh or frozen strawberries sliced
- 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) fresh or frozen rhubarb cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) chunks
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter cut into bits
- 1 1/3 cups (330 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped walnuts toasted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter cut into bits
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) icing sugar
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Butter a 9-in square (23 cm) baking dish.
Combine strawberries, rhubarb, lemon juice, sugar and butter. Place in bottom of pan.
Combine flour with baking powder, sugar, lemon rind, rolled oats, nuts and cinnamon. Cut in butter until it is in tiny bits. Sprinkle mixture with milk. Stir together just until a heavy batter is formed. Drop batter by spoonfuls over top of the rhubarb.
Bake 35 to 40 min. Allow to cool before serving. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
Rhubarb mixture may be quite runny at first but will firm up slightly when cool
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||20 % / 225 mg|
|Vitamin C:||70 %|