This recipe is taken from the 2008 Milk Calendar. This mild-flavoured, colourful dish is a super introduction to curry. For those who are already fans, increase the amount of curry for a more robust flavour. Serve over cooked rice or noodles and with Indian flatbread.
- Prep: 10 min - 15 min
- Cooking: 15 min - 20 min
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken cut into 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) chunks
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder or mild curry paste
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- 4 cups (1 L) frozen chunky mixed vegetables
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh tomatoes chopped or canned tomatoes drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) peanuts roasted and chopped
Whisk cornstarch and soy sauce into milk; set aside.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; add chicken, garlic, curry and ginger; cook, turning chicken once, for about 2 min or until chicken is lightly browned. Add vegetables; cover and cook for about 3 min or until vegetables are thawed.
Stir milk mixture and pour into pan; cook, stirring and scraping up bits stuck to pan, for about 5 to 10 min or until sauce is thickened and chicken is no longer pink inside. Remove from heat; stir in tomatoes.
Serve topped with yogurt and peanuts.
Cooking Tip: Heat the pan well before adding the butter to make sure the chicken browns for better flavour and texture.
For the Adventurous: Replace ground ginger with 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh gingerroot, add 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh hot peppers, increase curry by 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 mL) and garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||9 % / 104 mg|
|Vitamin A:||62 %|
|Vitamin B6:||38 %|