This recipe is taken from the 2001 Milk Calendar. A new twist on a traditional family favourite! A complete meal in a bowl ready in minutes that features chicken in delicious harmony with red and white beans.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 25 min - 30 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken cut in 1-inch (2 1/2 cm) chunks
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper or green bell pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) corn kernels
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) shredded Canadian Old Cheddar cheese
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté chicken and transfer to plate. Add carrot, onion, peppers, chili powder, oregano and cumin; cook, stirring, for 5 min or until vegetables are softened.
Add tomatoes, the red and white kidney beans and tomato paste; bring to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently 15 to 20 min or until thickened.
Whisk flour into milk; gradually stir into pot. Add corn and cooked chicken; simmer, stirring, until thickened and chicken is no longer pink inside. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle servings with cheese.
For the Vegetarian: Omit chicken. Increase carrot to 2 and add 1 zucchini, chopped, along with other vegetables.
Healthy Eating Tip: Full of beans? Beans are known for their fibre, but did you know that they are a good source of folate? Folate, also found in milk, is a vitamin needed to make red blood cells.
For additional bean recipes, visit www.ontariobeans.on.ca
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||24 % / 268 mg|
|Vitamin C:||114 %|