This is the Swiss Egg Nests with Ham recipe.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 12 slices of bread
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) melted butter
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) minced ham
- 6 oz (180 g) grated Canadian Swiss* cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped green onion
- 12 medium eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 oz (60 g) grated Canadian Swiss* cheese
Remove crust from bread slices. Flatten bread with rolling pin. Baste slices on either side with melted butter and press each slice into one of twelve 6 oz (170 g) oven-proof ramequins or custard cups.
Set these on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 °F (180 °C) for 12 minutes. Evenly divide ham, 6 oz (180 g) grated Canadian Swiss cheese and green onion into ramequins or custard cups.
Form these mixtures into nests and delicately break an egg into each. Add salt and pepper and top with grated 2 oz (60 g) Canadian Swiss cheese. Bake again for 18 minutes or until eggs are done to taste.
* For a change of taste use Canadian Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.