This is the Swiss Vegetable Brunch Bake recipe.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 45 min
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3 cups (750 mL) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium zucchini halved lengthwise, sliced
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) Milk
- 6 eggs lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) basil pesto
- 30 slices (1/4-inch/6 mm thick) day-old baguette bread
- 1 pkg (227 g) Canadian Swiss cheese cut into 30 slices
- 30 slices (1/4-inch/6 mm thick) plum tomatoes or other small tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
Melt butter in large non-stick frying pan. Add mushrooms, zucchini, onion and garlic. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender and any liquid has evaporated. Blend in flour.
Spoon vegetable mixture into shallow 2-quart (2 L) round or rectangular baking dish.
Combine milk, eggs, salt and pepper; pour over vegetables. Spread pesto thinly over one side of bread slices; top each slice with Canadian Swiss cheese and tomato. Arranged covered bread slices in egg mixture in an overlapping circular or rectangular pattern; sprinkle with Canadian Parmesan cheese.
Bake, uncovered, in 350 °F (180 °C) oven 45 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
Do-ahead tip: Assemble ingredients as directed. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Bake 55 to 60 minutes.
|Vitamin A:||269 mg|