Chocolate and tahini pair beautifully in this light and airy cream cheese pie.
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cooking: 20 minutes
- Refrigeration: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) instant espresso powder
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, melted
- 8 oz (250 g) Canadian cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) tahini paste
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 35% whipping cream
- Chocolate Glaze:
- 2 oz (60 g) dark chocolate (at least 70%), finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tsp (10 mL) honey
- 1 pkg (35 g) store-bought sesame snaps, broken into shards
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Stir together cookie crumbs, brown sugar and espresso powder; toss with melted butter until evenly coated. Press mixture into bottom and up side of 9-inch (23 cm) pie pan.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp and firm. Let cool completely.
Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, tahini, vanilla and salt until smooth. Beat in icing sugar until blended.
In separate bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks start to form. Fold half of the whipped cream into tahini mixture; fold in the remaining whipped cream.
Scrape filling into prepared & cooled crust; swirl top with back of spoon. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or until set.
Place chocolate in heatproof bowl set over saucepan of barely simmering water; melt chocolate, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth. Stir in butter until blended; stir in honey until blended. Let cool slightly.
Drizzle glaze over pie. Garnish with sesame snaps. Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes or until glaze is set.
Alternatively, garnish pie with chopped chocolate halva.
Nutritional informationPer serving