This recipe is taken from the 2014 Milk Calendar. Tasty muffins chock full of colourful and crunchy seeds make a satisfying breakfast with a glass of milk and a piece of fresh fruit.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) wheat germ
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) roasted raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ground flax seeds
- 2 tsp (10 mg) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ground ginger or cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) liquid honey or packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt (not fat-free)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) raw sunflower seeds
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Butter nonstick muffin pans or line with paper liners.
In a coffee or flaxseed grinder, grind the flax seeds.
In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat germ, pumpkin seeds sunflower seeds, flax seeds, baking powder, ginger, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk, honey, yogurt and butter. Pour over dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
Spoon into prepared muffin pan; sprinkle tops with pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Bake for about 25 min or until tops are firm to the touch. Let cool in pan for 5 min. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
Shelled flax seeds add a nice texture and allow the nutrients to be digested better than in whole flax seeds.
Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated orange zest with butter. Use 1/4 cup (60 mL) hemp seeds and/or chia seeds in place of an equal amount of pumpkin or sunflower seeds; add 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries, blueberries, raisins or chopped cherries.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||9 % / 103 mg|
|Vitamin E:||27 %|