This recipe is taken from the 1989 Milk Calendar. This is the Tortellini with Tomato & Parmesan Mushroom Sauce recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) tomato sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 1/2 oz (375 g) fresh or frozen tortellini
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Canadian Mozzarella cheese
- Grated Canadian Parmesan cheese (optional)
Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter in medium saucepan. Sauté onion and garlic until tender. Add tomato sauce. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Parmesan/ mushroom sauce:
Melt remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in large saucepan. Cook mushrooms and green onions until tender and liquid has evaporated. Blend in flour. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in Canadian Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and keep warm.
Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain. Stir into Parmesan/ mushroom sauce.
Pour tomato sauce into a 8-cup (2 L) shallow baking dish. Spoon tortellini mixture over tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Canadian Mozzarella and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired. Broil until cheese is melted and golden.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||67 % / 739 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||55 %|