This recipe is taken from the 1986 Milk Calendar. A delicious crust puts a new top to an old favourite.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 45 min - 50 min
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter
- 8 oz (250 g) mushrooms quartered
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Tabasco sauce
- 4 cups (1 L) turkey or chicken or ham cooked and diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced pimento
- 10 oz (300 g) frozen peas and carrots defrosted or 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) cooked vegetables
- Herb Dumpling Crust
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter cold
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Milk cold + 2 tbsp (30 mL)
Melt butter in a large saucepan. Sauté mushrooms. Cook a few minutes. Sprinkle with flour. Cook 5 min, do not brown. Whisk in stock and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Add seasonings and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, 10 min.
Add turkey, pimento, carrots and peas to sauce.
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Butter a 12-cup (3 L) casserole dish.
Herb Dumpling Crust:
Combine flour with baking powder, parsley, dill and salt. Cut in the butter until it is in tiny bits. Sprinkle mixture with milk. Gather together to form a dough.
Roll dough on floured surface to fit the top of the casserole.
Spoon turkey mixture into casserole. Place dough directly on top of turkey. Cut steam slits in dough. Brush with remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) milk.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||22 % / 247 mg|
|Vitamin A:||48 %|