This recipe is taken from the 2010 Milk Calendar. This classic cake has been a Canadian favourite for over a century for good reason. It’s made with ingredients you likely have on hand and just needs a dusting of icing sugar or a dollop of applesauce for a wonderful, comforting dessert.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 45 min - 55 min
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cups (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground allspice or 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) fancy molasses
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter melted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk soured* or buttermilk
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 9-inch (23 cm) round or square metal cake pan; line bottom with parchment paper, if desired.
In a large bowl, combine flours, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, baking powder, salt, allspice and nutmeg. In another bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, molasses, butter and vanilla extract; whisk in milk. Pour over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
Spread in prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake for 45 to 55 min or until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool slightly in pan on a rack. Serve warm.
You can replace buttermilk by sour milk or yogourt. To sour milk, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of white vinegar (or lemon juice) to 1 cup (250 mL) milk. Let stand for 5 min then stir.
Cooled cake can be wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days. Unwrap plastic and wrap in foil and reheat in 350 °F (180 °C) oven for about 15 min (or less for smaller pieces).
For the Adventurous: Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped crystallized ginger with the milk and stir in 1 cup (250 mL) semisweet chocolate chips or chopped bittersweet (dark) chocolate with the dry ingredients.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||8 % / 89 mg|