This croustade is a hearty meal for lunch, but it can also accompany your favorite meal.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 35 min - 40 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups (1 L) your choice of winter vegetables (carrots, turnips, rutabaga, celeriac, parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc.) peeled and cut in 1 inch sticks or diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fennel seeds
- 2 cups (500 mL) Canadian Old Cheddar shredded
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter melted
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread crumbled or diced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, vegetables and fennel seeds for 20 minutes or until onions and garlic are golden. Salt and pepper to taste and transfer to an ovenproof dish.
In a bowl, combine cheese, melted butter, breadcrumbs and parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
Top vegetables evenly with cheese mixture. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are soft and cheese topping is golden and crusty.
This quick-to-prepare recipe can be made with whatever vegetables are on hand. Makes an excellent side dish for fish or poultry, or add cubed, cooked meat or poultry to vegetables before baking.
Note: The croustade may be prepared ahead and baked or reheated just before serving.
For a change of taste, use Canadian Swiss, Gouda, Medium Cheddar or Provolone.
|Calcium:||37 % / 404 mg|