This is the Yule Log recipe.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) cake-and-pastry flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 cups (1 L) vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter softened
- 4 oz (120 g) Canadian Cream Cheese softened
- 1 tsp (5) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500 mL) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Nestlé® Carnation® 2 % Evaporated milk
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cocoa powder
- Decoration (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) currants
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped pecans
- Chocolate Sauce
- 1 can (385 mL) Nestlé® Carnation® 2 % Evaporated milk
- 3 pkgs (8 oz/225 g each) sweetened chocolate chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cold butter
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
In bowl with an electric mixer, beat eggs, vanilla and white sugar until light and lemon-coloured. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat into egg mixture. Cover a 15 x 10 x 1-in (40 x 25 x 2-cm) jellyroll pan with parchment paper and spread batter evenly in pan.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes. Lay cake, parchment paper up, on a lightly floured dishtowel and roll up in the dishtowel.
To assemble, unroll cake, remove parchment paper and quickly cover with ice cream*, leaving a 3/4 inch (2 cm) edge uncovered on long sides. Roll up again and place on presentation plate. Trim 1 1/8 inches (3 cm) off each end of cake roll; arrange trimmed pieces on top of log to ressemble knots.
To make icing, in a bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter, Cream Cheese, vanilla extract and 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar until smooth. Add Carnation® Evaporated milk, cinnamon, cloves and remaining icing sugar and continue to beat until smooth.
Remove 1/3 cup (80 mL) of icing, stir in cocoa and set aside. Check consistency of remaining white icing, adding a little evaporated milk if necessary. Ice log with white icing. Fill a pastry bag or a cone made with waxed paper with brown icing and pipe out growth rings on ends of log and on knots.
Scatter dried cranberries, currants and pecans over log, but not on knots, and press lightly to stick. Keep yule log in freezer until serving time.
To make chocolate sauce, heat evaporated milk in a saucepan or microwave until almost boiling. Pour over chocolate and stir with a wooden spoon until chocolate has completely melted. Add cold butter in pieces and stir to melt.
To serve, slice yule log at the table and spoon chocolate sauce around or over each slice.
*To make it easier to spread ice cream, purchase ice cream in a rectangular package. Slice lengthwise and lay on cake to cover completely.
Nutritional informationPer serving