This recipe is taken from the 2003 Milk Calendar. There are few foods with the unmistakable aroma of baked apples and spice. These muffins are a great way to enjoy your favorite ingredients.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup (310 mL) Milk
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) fancy molasses
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced peeled cooking apples (such as Spy, Crispin, Granny Smith, Cortland)
Preheat oven to 400 ºF (200 ºC). Lightly butter or spray 12 nonstick muffin pans or line with paper baking cups.
In bowl, combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves. In a separate bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, milk, molasses and butter; pour over dry ingredients and sprinkle with apple. Stir just until moistened.
Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 25 min or until tops are firm to the touch.
To bake this as a loaf, spread batter into buttered 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan and bake in 350 ºF (180 ºC ) oven for 1 hour or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack.
For the Adventurous: For an extra ginger kick, add 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced fresh ginger or finely chopped crystallized ginger to wet ingredients. Or, pears can be substituted for apples. Reduce the amount to 1-1/2 cups (375 mL).
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||8 % / 91 mg|