Using canned artichokes is a convenient and easy way to add a new vegetable idea to your holiday table. Look for them in the pickle aisle of the grocery store. With the green and red of this casserole side dish, your Christmas dinner will be truly decorated. Perfect for the vegetarian on the guest list.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 red bell peppers sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried Italian herb seasoning
- 2 cans (14 oz/398 mL each) whole artichokes drained and halved
- 1 cup (250 mL) 15 or 18% table cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 oz (90 g) Canadian Gorgonzola cheese cut into small pieces
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter melted
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat and cook peppers, onion, garlic, parsley and Italian seasoning, stirring frequently for about 8 minutes or until tender crisp and becoming golden. Scrape into shallow 10-cup (2.5 L) casserole dish. Stir in artichokes; set aside.
In same skillet, whisk together cream and flour. Add cheese and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Whisk until Canadian Gorgonzola cheese is melted and stir in pepper. Pour over vegetable mixture.
: In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parsley and butter. Sprinkle over vegetables and bake for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and topping is golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Cover and refrigerate unbaked casserole for up to 1 day. Cover with foil and bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for about 30 minutes, uncover and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Use fresh sliced bread, buns or English muffins to make breadcrumbs. Place in a food processor and whirl around to make crumbs. Any extra can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||13 % / 139 mg|
|Vitamin A:||25 %|
|Vitamin C:||100 %|