This is the Asian-Style Cabbage with Brick Cheese recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h 15
- 1 green cabbage
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground veal
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh ginger chopped
- 8 oz (225 g) portobello mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) jasmine rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) green peas
- 5 oz (150 g) Canadian Brick cheese shredded
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
Cut cabbage in two and hollow out the insides to create bowls about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick. Chop up 4 cups (1 L) of cabbage and reserve the rest for another use. Place half-cabbages in an oven-safe dish. Add 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) broth, cover with aluminum foil and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
In a non-stick skillet over high heat, cook ground veal along with garlic and ginger until thoroughly cooked. Add chopped cabbage and mushrooms and cook for 3–4 minutes. Add soy sauce, rice, peas and remaining broth. Cook for 5 minutes.
Remove half-cabbages from the oven and stuff with mixture. Continue cooking in the oven, covered, for 45 minutes. Add more broth or water to the baking dish if necessary.
Remove from the oven, top with Brick cheese and cook uncovered for another 15 minutes. Once browned, cut into wedges and serve with the broth.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Mild Cheddar, Mozzarella.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||23 % / 258 mg|
|Vitamin C:||101 %|
|Vitamin B12:||72 %|