This recipe is taken from the 1986 Milk Calendar. You can experiment with this recipe by using whatever vegetables you have on hand. For a chunkier version prepare it without puréeing.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 25 min - 30 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 medium onions coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 medium carrots coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs celery coarsely chopped
- 1 small zucchini coarsely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- Sour cream or crème fraîche (for garnish)
Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions and garlic and cook 5 min.
Add carrots, celery, zucchini, potatoes, tomatoes, half of the parsley (reserve remaining for garnish), stock, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook 25 min or until vegetables are very tender.
Purée soup in blender or food processor. Return to heat. Add milk. Cook until heated thoroughly. Do not allow soup to boil. Taste and add seasoning if necessary.
Garnish each serving with reserved parsley and a dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||14 % / 149 mg|
|Vitamin A:||36 %|
|Vitamin B12:||24 %|
|Vitamin C:||51 %|