This is the Baked Manicotti recipe.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 1 h
- 8 manicotti shells
- 8 oz (250 g) lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 19 oz can (540 mL) whole tomatoes
- 1 5 1/2 oz can (156 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Canadian Mozzarella* cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) Canadian Cottage** cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) shredded parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
In large saucepan, cook manicotti according to package directions; drain.
In large skillet, sauté beef, onion and garlic until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
In large bowl, combine Canadian Mozzarella, Cottage and Parmesan cheeses, eggs, parsley and 1 tsp (5 mL) salt. Place half of the tomato sauce mixture in a 7 x 11-inch (18 x 28 cm) shallow rectangular baking dish. Set remaining sauce aside and keep warm.
Divide cheese mixture among manicotti shells; arrange in dish. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until heated through. Pour reserved sauce over manicotti and serve.
* Or you can use shredded Canadian Provolone or Fontina cheese.** Or you can use Canadian Ricotta cheese.
Learn more about
|Calcium:||48 % / 523 mg|