This recipe is taken from the 1985 Milk Calendar. This is the Baked Winter Squash Ring recipe.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 1 h
- 2 1/4 lb (1 Kg) butternut squash or other squash (acorn, hubbard, etc.) cooked
- 1 lb (450 g) carrots cooked
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) groun nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) ground ginger
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
Purée squash. Measure out 2 cups (500 mL). Purée carrots. Measure out 1 cup (250 mL) and add to squash. Beat in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Beat eggs with milk; add to squash. Reserve 3 tbsp (45 mL) bread crumbs; add remaining bread crumbs to squash with salt and pepper.
Butter a 6 cup/ 1.5 L ring mold. Sprinkle with reserved bread crumbs. Pour squash mixture into the pan. Cover with buttered aluminum foil or waxed paper. Bake about one hour in a water bath (a larger pan half-filled with very hot water) or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Rest 10 min before unmolding.
To unmold run a knife around edge and invert on a serving platter.
Note: Centre of ring can be filled with cooked vegetables as shown in photograph.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||13 % / 145 mg|
|Vitamin A:||126 %|
|Vitamin C:||48 %|
|Vitamin E:||28 %|