Barley is a grain that goes nicely with fruit. Browning the barley directly in the pot brings out its subtle, nutty flavour.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 25 min - 30 min
- Candied pecans (optional)
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) pecans
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) butter
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of Jamaican pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) pearled barley
- 2 2/3 cups (660 mL) vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked chicken diced
- 15 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 3 peaches peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh coriander chopped coarsely
- 6 oz (180 g) Canadian Feta crumbled
- 1 avocado sliced thinly
Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
Place pecans on a baking sheet and toast for 6 min or until nuts are fragrant and slightly browned.
In a skillet, heat honey, water and butter. Add toasted pecans and stir until all the liquid has been absorbed by the nuts. Transfer to a sheet of parchment and sprinkle with sugar, salt and Jamaican pepper while still hot. Mix well and reserve at room temperature.
In a pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add barley and mix well. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 min or until golden. Add broth and bring to a full boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 25 min or until barley is tender.
Remove from heat and strain if needed. Place in a large salad bowl and drizzle with oil and orange juice. With a rubber spatula, mix gently for 5 min to cool the barley quickly.
Season with salt and pepper and add remaining ingredients, except avocado.
Combine gently and garnish with candied pecans and avocado slices.
To peel peaches, plunge them into a large pot of boiling water for 30 seconds. With a skimmer, transfer them to a large bowl of cold water. The skins will slip off easily with your fingers.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||17 % / 191 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||35 %|
|Vitamin C:||33 %|