Adding beans and grain to a classic Greek salad turns it into a hearty one-dish meal that includes all the fresh flavour of Canadian Feta.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pearl barley
- 1 can (540 mL) black, red, white or lima beans no salt added
- 1 cup (250 mL) cucumber cut in half lengthwise, then sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) bell pepper your choice, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red onion diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) kalamata olives packed in oil sliced, drained, reserving 3 tbsp (45 mL) of oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) Canadian Feta coarsely crumbled
- Freshly ground pepper
In a saucepan, bring 6 cups (1.5 L) of water to a boil and cook barley for approximately 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, cool under cold water, then drain again.
In a large bowl, mix barley, beans, vegetables and olives.
In another bowl, whisk reserved oil with lemon juice. Add herbs, Feta and pepper and pour over salad. Mix well and serve.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Halloumi, Havarti, Bocconcini.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||18 % / 202 mg|
|Vitamin C:||56 %|