This recipe is taken from the 1990 Milk Calendar. This is the Beef and Rice Casserole with Crisp Topping recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 25 min - 30 min
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground beef
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) chopped onion
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) chopped green bell pepper
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 can 7 1/2 oz (213 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp (110 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dry mustard
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded extra Sharp Canadian Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked rice
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) crisp rice cereal crumbled
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Combine beef, mushrooms, onion, green bell pepper and garlic in large skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat and vegetables are cooked; drain fat. Stir in tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. Spoon into a 8-cup (2 L) shallow rectangular baking dish; set aside.
Melt 4 tbsp (60 mL) of the butter in medium saucepan. Blend in flour and dry mustard. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Add Cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Stir in cooked rice; spoon over meat layer in baking dish.
Melt remaining butter (3 tbsp/45 mL); combine with rice cereal. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake in preheated 350 °F (180 °C) oven 15 to 20 min or until hot and bubbly.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||47 % / 515 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||80 %|