This recipe is taken from the 2004 Milk Calendar. This is the The Best Blueberry Bran Muffins recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 25 min - 30 min
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) bran cereal (i.e. All-Bran or 100 % Bran)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk soured* or buttermilk*
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) fancy molasses
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen blueberries or fresh blueberries
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Lightly butter or spray 12 nonstick muffin pans or line with paper baking cups.
In large bowl, combine cereal with milk; let stand for 10 min. In separate large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Whisk brown sugar, egg, molasses and butter into cereal mixture; pour over dry ingredients and sprinkle with blueberries. Stir just until moistened.
Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 25 to 30 min or until tops are firm to the touch.
Moist, tasty and bursting with blueberries - these muffins are a healthy start to the day with a glass of milk.Christine Cushing
*You can replace buttermilk by sour milk or yogourt. To make sour milk, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of white vinegar to 1 cup (250 mL) milk.
If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw before adding to muffins in order to prevent the blue colour from discolouring the batter.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||9 % / 96 mg|