Spooky fingers of bread are an easy way to enjoy the fresh herb and garlic flavours alongside a hearty stew or soup. But they are equally delicious served up with some of your favourite pasta sauce to dip into for a bloody start to your Halloween bash.
- Prep: 20 min
- 1 tbsp of granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) hot water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) traditional active dry yeast
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter melted
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) freshly grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) all- purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter melted
- 4 tsp (20 mL) toasted sesame seeds or black
- 12 sliced natural almonds
- 1 1/2 cups (325 mL) pasta or marinara sauce
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In large bowl, stir together sugar and water; sprinkle yeast over top and let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy. Stir in butter, cheese, parsley, basil and garlic. Stir in flour and salt until ragged dough forms. Using hands start to knead the dough in the bowl to bring it together.
Scrape dough out onto floured work surface and knead for about 3 minutes or until soft dough forms. (Dough should not be sticky.) Place in buttered bowl and cover with clean tea towel and let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Punch down dough and divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll into about 4- inch (10 cm) fingers. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover with clean tea towel and let rise for about 40 minutes or until doubled.
Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
: Brush each finger with butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Press an almond slice at end of each finger for the nails. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with pasta sauce.
Use store-bought pizza dough. Knead cheese, parsley, basil and garlic into 1 lb (500 g) fresh or frozen, thawed pizza dough and shape into 12 fingers . Continue with recipe as directed above.
Make-Ahead: Store at room temperature for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 2 weeks.