This recipe is taken from the 2016 Milk Calendar. Start your day off right with these very berry-full muffins.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ground flax seeds
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Butter melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter a muffin pan or line with paper liners.
Finely grate zest from lemon and measure out 2 tbsp (30 mL) juice; place in a small bowl and stir in milk. In a large bowl, stir together poppy, sesame, sunflower and ground flax seeds. Remove 2 tbsp (30 mL) for sprinkling over muffins. Add flours to remaining seed mixture in the large bowl and whisk together with brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir in blueberries. In a medium bowl, whisk milk mixture with butter, egg and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients; stir just until combined.
Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle with reserved seed mixture. Bake for about 20 min or until a tester inserted in centre of muffins comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan for 10 min. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
For maximum nutrition, flax seeds need to be ground.
Use frozen blueberries, but fold in once all other ingredients have been mixed to prevent bleeding into the batter. Substitute ground ginger for cinnamon.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||10 % / 106 mg|