This recipe is taken from the 2007 Milk Calendar. This is the Blueberry Peach Muffins recipe.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min - 30 min
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh, frozen or drained canned peaches chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen blueberries
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Butter nonstick muffin pans or line with paper liners.
In a bowl, combine milk and lemon juice; set aside. In a large bowl, combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Whisk sugar, egg and butter into milk mixture. Pour over dry ingredients and sprinkle with peaches and blueberries. Stir just until moistened.
Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20 to 30 min or until tops are firm to the touch. Let cool in pan for 5 min. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
Cooking Tip:If using frozen fruit, do not thaw before adding to batter to reduce bleeding of the colour. The baking time will be in the higher range. If using canned peaches, drain and pat dry before adding to batter.
For the Adventurous:Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced crystallized or 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh gingerroot with fruit.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||6 % / 70 mg|
|Folate:||15 % / 33 mcg|
|Thiamin:||15 % / 0.2 mg|
|Riboflavin:||13 % / 0.2 mg|
|Niacin:||13 % / 3 mg|