This is the Borscht with Queso Fresco recipe.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 1 h 10
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 2 stalks of celery thinly sliced
- 4 cups (1 L) beets peeled and diced
- 3 cups (750 mL) red cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) potatoes peeled and diced
- 8 cups (2 L) low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste no salt added
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 - 5 oz (120-150 g) Canadian Queso Fresco
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh dill chopped
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and sauté vegetables. Add broth, red wine vinegar and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper.
In a skillet over medium heat, cook Queso Fresco cheese for 2 minutes on each side until golden.
Garnish borscht with Queso Fresco and herbs and serve with slices of pumpernickel.
If desired, add 1/2 cup (125 mL) of 18 % cream and purée soup in a blender for a smooth consistency.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Feta, Halloumi.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||12 % / 127 mg|
|Vitamin B6:||13 %|
|Vitamin C:||46 %|