This recipe is taken from the 2015 Milk Calendar. Instead of muffins, try this flavourful and moist totable breakfast cake. Simply cut into squares and go!
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 35 min - 40 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) wheat germ
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fancy molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely grated carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened desiccated coconut
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter an 8-inch (2 L) square cake pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk together milk, brown sugar, butter, molasses and egg. Pour milk mixture over dry ingredients along with carrots, zucchini, raisins, walnuts and coconut. Stir just until combined.
Scrape into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake for 35 to 40 min or until a tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a rack.
Store whole wheat flour i the freezer to ensure freshness. There’s no need to thaw flour before measuring.
For extra crunch, add some sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
Replace walnuts with pecans or almonds.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||9 % / 100 mg|