This recipe is taken from the 1998 Milk Calendar. A delicious moist cake with the flavours of chocolate, cinnamon, pecans and of course coffee. What could be better?
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h - 1 h 5
- Crumb Topping
- 1 tsp (5 mL) instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp (90 mL) cold butter diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) instant coffee granules
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water warm
- 2 3/4 cups (680 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan.
In a medium bowl stir together instant coffee, brown sugar, flour and ground cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly and stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
In a large bowl beat together butter and sugar until light. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well until smooth. Beat in sour cream. Dissolve instant coffee in the warm water and beat into egg mixture.
In a small bowl, stir together remaining dry ingredients. Gradually stir into the creamed mixture. On low speed, begin with 1/3 of the dry mixture then half of the milk. Alternate, beating well after each addition and ending with the flour mixture.
Spread 1/2 of the batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of the crumb topping. Cover with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining crumb topping.
Bake for 60 to 65 min or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. If top begins to brown too quickly, loosely cover with foil.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||12 % / 130 mg|