This is the Canadian Gouda and Leek Potage (Cooking Club Size) recipe.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 35 min
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 4 cups (1 L) thinly sliced leeks (white part only)
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced mushrooms (cremini or white mushrooms)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large onions halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 cups (1.125 L) chicken or beef broth
- 5 cups (1.25 L) water
- pepper to taste
- 12 slices rye bread toasted, cut in thirds
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded Canadian Gouda* cheese
In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook leeks, mushrooms, garlic and onion for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Whisk flour into broth and stir into pot, add water. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Transfer soup, in batches, to blender or food processor; puree until vegetables are finely chopped. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into 12 ovenproof soup bowls. Top each with three pieces of toast and about 1/3 cup (80 mL) Canadian Gouda cheese.
Broil until cheese is melted and slightly browned, about 4 minutes.
Cooking Club Tip:To take home, package pureed soup into containers. Label with name and date. Package fresh rye bread and shredded Canadian Gouda cheese. To serve, gently reheat soup on stovetop or in microwave, stirring occasionally (If frozen thaw soup overnight in the refrigerator). Toast rye bread and cut into thirds. Proceed as recipe indicates. Soup can be frozen.
*For a change of taste, use Canadian aged Cheddar.