This recipe is taken from the 1981 Milk Calendar. If the warmth of spring seems light years away, try rushing the season by growing a window herb garden. Fresh basil and parsley are used in this cannelloni dish but, it works just as well with dried herbs too.
- Prep: 25 min
- Cooking: 40 min - 45 min
- 1/2 lb (225 g) cannelloni
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) onion chopped
- 1 pkg (250 g) frozen spinach blanched, drained and chopped
- 3 cups (750 mL) ham finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) Canadian Ricotta cheese or Canadian Cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- White Sauce
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- A pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley chopped
Cook cannelloni pasta according to package directions. Drain.
Sauté onion in butter until soft. Stir in spinach; cook until moisture is gone. Remove from heat; add ham, cheeses, egg and seasonings to taste.
: In a saucepan combine butter and flour and stir until bubbly. Gradually add milk and salt and cook over medium heat until smoothly thickened about 10 minutes.
Prepare tomato sauce, season with basil and cayenne, to taste.
To assemble cannelloni:
Pour 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato sauce in bottom of 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish. Fill cooked cannelloni with ham filling. Place on top of Tomato Sauce. Pour White Sauce over all; top with remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan and parsley.
Bake covered at 375 °F (190 °C) for 20 to 25 min or until bubbly.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||28 % / 303 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||51 %|