This recipe is taken from the 1991 Milk Calendar. This is the Carbonara Sauce recipe.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 8 oz (225 g) bacon diced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- Hot red chili flakes (to taste)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35 % cream or Milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
Place bacon pieces in a deep skillet or wide saucepan. Cook until crisp. Drain on paper towels and reserve.
Discard but 3 tbsp (45 mL) of bacon fat. Sauté onions, garlic and chili flakes. Cook 2 to 3 min until tender. Stir in flour. Cook 2 to 3 min longer. Whisk in milk and cream. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 5 min.
Beat eggs together lightly. Whisk into sauce with cheese and parsley. Cook 2 min. Add salt and pepper.
Toss with 3/4 lb (340 g) spaghetti, cooked. Sprinkle with additional freshly ground black pepper and reserved bacon.