An Italian classic, made extra creamy with the addition of Canadian cream and milk, along with the egg. Try it with Canadian Parmesan cheese as well! This classic recipe is taken from the 1991 Milk Calendar.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 8 oz (225 g) bacon diced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- Hot red chili flakes (to taste)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Canadian Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Canadian 35 % cream or Milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
Place bacon pieces in a deep skillet or wide saucepan. Cook until crisp. Drain on paper towels and reserve.
Discard but 3 tbsp (45 mL) of bacon fat. Sauté onions, garlic and chili flakes. Cook 2 to 3 min until tender. Stir in flour. Cook 2 to 3 min longer. Whisk in Canadian milk and cream. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 5 min.
Beat eggs together lightly. Whisk into sauce with Canadian cheese and parsley. Cook 2 min. Add salt and pepper.
Toss with 3/4 lb (340 g) spaghetti, cooked. Sprinkle with additional freshly ground black pepper and reserved bacon.