Golden, crispy and delicious, you’ll want to make these melt-in-your mouth fish cakes with Canadian Cheddar. Easy to make, they are prepared with cod or any other white fish. Serve them as a main dish or make smaller ones to serve as appetizers.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1 lb (450 g) cod fillets
- 2 cups (500 mL) yellow-fleshed potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 egg beaten
- 5 oz (150 g) Canadian Mild Cheddar shredded
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh parsley chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups (1 L) crispy rice cereal crushed to yield 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) crushed cereal
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) canola oil
Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in a skillet over medium heat and cook cod for 4–5 minutes on each side. Let cool, then flake the cod and set aside.
In a saucepan, cook potatoes in salted boiling water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes and mash until smooth.Transfer potatoes to a bowl and add Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, egg and Cheddar. Stir until well blended. Add green onions, parsley and cod. Season with salt and pepper.
Crush cereal and place in a dish.
Shape approx. 1/3 cup (80 mL) of cod mixture into a ball, then roll in the crushed cereal. Place on a plate and flatten slightly.
Heat oil and remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook fish cakes for 4–5 minutes on each side. Serve hot.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Colby, Monterey Jack.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||19 % / 212 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||119 %|
|Vitamin E:||62 %|